Brian Neish is an internationally selling, contemporary abstract artist painting in oils. Brian became a full-time artist in 2010. Prior to this he worked as a Senior Lecturer in Art Education at LSU College of Higher Education and the University of Chichester. This followed his time in Primary Education specialising in Art & Design. He originally studied at King Alfred’s College, Winchester where he graduated in 1985 with a First Class Honours Degree in Art & Education. He also completed a post-graduate year of study in 1990 at Dartington College of Arts in Devon. Brian returned to his home county of Derbyshire in 2014 setting up his home and studio in the High Peak.
Brian Neish is fascinated by painted surfaces, particularly surfaces having to endure the extremes of sunlight, wind, frost and rain. He calls the appearance of these debilitating effects ‘Noble Decay’ to suggest a sense of them displaying increasingly unique visual qualities over extended periods of time. He never scrapes paint off, it’s all about the considered application of paint, one layer at a time each series of treatments, conducted over many months, reveals surprising and unexpected moments.
In the White Series, the focus is on the overlaying of white paint. This connects and links other colours into a more holistic framework. The luminous white paint harmonises any colour contradictions. Every colour has its place yet the use of white illuminates the presence of each. The White Series seems to be a conversation between time and space.
Brian’s love of decay and the transience of buildings, especially the painterly surfaces of doors and walls, is clearly apparent. His layering of paint creates its own organic life, where past surfaces are seen though present surfaces. There is space and an open quality where the viewer can develop a relationship with the paintings.
More examples of his work can be seen at our partner gallery London Contemporary Art
- 2019 ‘White Square’ London Contemporary Art Gallery, London, UK
- 2018 ‘Recent Work’ Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel, Amsterdam, NL
- 2017 ‘Deepest Harmony’ Ivy Brown Gallery, NYC, USA
- 2015 ‘30 years On’ University of Winchester, UK
- 2015 ‘Road Trip’ The Studios, New Mills, UK
- 2013 ‘Journey’ Store Street Gallery, London, UK
- 2012 ‘Noble Decay’ The Art Café, Winchester, UK
- 2011 ‘Noble Decay’ Malraux Gallery, Sarlat-la-Caneda, FRANCE
- 2010 ‘New Work’ Fisherton Mill Gallery, Salisbury, UK
- 2009 ‘Recent Work’ Theatre Royal, Winchester, UK
- 2009 ‘Paintings & New Work’ The Otter Gallery, Chichester, UK
- 2017 ‘Colour & Form’ Gallery Top, Rowsley, UK
- 2016 ‘Boundaries’ London Contemporary Art, London, UK
- 2016 ‘Pure Colour’ Store Street Gallery, London, UK
- 2015 ‘Contemporary Painting’ Brick Lane Gallery, London, UK
- 2013 ‘Timelapse’ Landmark Arts Centre, Teddington, UK
- 2013 ‘Timelapse’ Link Gallery University of Winchester, UK
International Exchange Exhibitions
- 2018 ‘Corduroy Part 2’ Neo Gallery 23, Bolton, UK
- 2017 ‘Corduroy Part 1’ Studio 44, Stockholm, SWEDEN